Sunday, January 22, 2012

Comparing Numbers 15-20 on Ten Frames

    We started our lesson by identifying numbers and using the students as manipulatives on our ten frames I taped off on the floor. Once they organized themselves on the ten frames, we practiced making one/two more/less and identifying the new number. Then students went to the tables where I had put ten frames mats, manipulatives, and a number. They had to represent that number on their ten frames. While they were doing that, I worked with one table making one/two more/less and comparing the numbers with the emphasis on the students using comparative language to describe the relationship between the number they started with and their new number. They rotated through all the tables. I noticed after I worked with each group the students began asking each other to make one/less, two more than their original number. I love when the students mimic what we've worked on together without being asked to!








5 comments:

  1. Love your blog. It's looks like your students are having a great time. Thanks for sharing your great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the newest follower of this too cute blog! LOVE this ten frame activity....I posted a ten frame fun freebie on my blog that's perfect for work stations!

    Jessica
    The Littlest Scholars

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the kid as manipulatives! How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for the kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you give them just one number to make, they are finished quickly, right? Did they rotate to tables when they were finished making that number and move onto the next table or did they have to wait until you told them to move?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...