Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Texas Symbols

    We learned about the Texas flag and what the colors mean. We also learned that Texas has had six flags, and we've had our current flag since 1845. We made Texas flags.



   We learned the Texas state motto is Friendship and it comes from the Spanish word tejas which is a form of the Caddo Native American word that means friends or allies. Then we read about how to be a good friend. We charted things good friends say and do and things bad friends say and do. Then we wrote to explain why we are a good friend.




We learned about the Texas state flower the bluebonnets. We researched bluebonnet facts, and then we read The Legend of the Bluebonnet by Tomie dePaola. We had a directed art lesson on how to draw a bluebonnet. We used blue paint and our finger to paint the petals. Then students went back and added the things bluebonnets need to their pictures. After students made theirs, we went back and add them to our anchor chart.




    Teachers who are interested in these activities can check out my Texas Learning Fun unit here.

2 comments:

  1. I love your bluebonnets!

    I think I am your newest follower....or at least I tried to follow you! Since I don't see my picture I hope I really am! =)

    I am a 1st grade ESL teacher in Texas.

    I love when I find blogs with Texas teachers because your activities will relate to the TEKS.

    I would love for you to visit me when you get the chance. =)

    We are about to start our Texas unit next week. Do you have the Texas Nursery Rhymes? My kiddos love them and I would be happy to share them! =)

    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog title caught my eye. My son just found out yesterday that his first job placement will be in El Paso...so Texas things are catching my eyes since we live in Ohio.
    Robynn
    BusyBees

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...